Hi @Paul ,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I've tried them with the following
results:

C:\beetle_projects\gd32vf103c_start>
"C:/embeetle/gnu_riscv_xpack_64b/bin/riscv-none-embed-gdb.exe"
warning: Couldn't determine a path for the index cache directory.
GNU gdb (xPack GNU RISC-V Embedded GCC, 64-bit) 8.3
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later < [ http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
| http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html ] >
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
--target=riscv-none-embed".
< [ https://github.com/sifive/freedom-tools/issues |
https://github.com/sifive/freedom-tools/issues ] >.
< [ http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/ |
http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/ ] >.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".

(gdb) set arch riscv:rv32
The target architecture is assumed to be riscv:rv32

(gdb) tar ext :3333
Remote debugging using :3333
warning: No executable has been specified and target does not support
determining executable automatically. Try using the "file" command.
0x08000000 in ?? ()

(gdb) file "C:/beetle_projects/gd32vf103c_start/build/myApp.elf"
A program is being debugged already.
Are you sure you want to change the file? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from
terminal]
Reading symbols from C:/beetle_projects/gd32vf103c_start/build/myApp.elf ...

(gdb) load
Start address 0x800015c, load size 6918
Transfer rate: 808 bytes/sec, 1383 bytes/write.

(gdb) monitor reset run
cmsis-dap JTAG TLR_RESET
cmsis-dap JTAG TLR_RESET
cmsis-dap JTAG TLR_RESET
JTAG tap: auto0.tap tap/device found: 0x790007a3 (mfg: 0x3d1 (GigaDevice
Semiconductor (Beijing)), part: 0x9000, ver: 0x7)
Hart 0 didn't run coming out of reset in 1s; dmstatus=0x4f03a2; Increase the
timeout with riscv set_reset_timeout_sec.
Hart 0 unexpectedly reset!
Note: Hart is halted due to the halt-on-reset bit is set,
please continue your program by appropriate debugger commands or operations!!

(gdb) monitor shutdown
shutdown command invoked

(gdb) quit
A debugging session is active.
Inferior 1 [Remote target] will be detached.
Quit anyway? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Detaching from program: C:/beetle_projects/gd32vf103c_start/build/myApp.elf ,
Remote target
Remote communication error. Target disconnected.: Not a directory.

It looks like the firmware flashed successfully. However, the monitor reset run
command seems to cause troubles. Unfortunately, the led on the board is not
blinking. The firmware I got from Reuben Townsend should make an led blink.

I'll send a mail to Reuben (engineer at GigaDevice) to ask him about the
upstream OpenOCD support.

By the way - if you're interested in this RISC-V development board (the
GD32VF103C-START), just let me know. There is currently no European distributor
for this board. But I can get you one through my contacts in GigaDevice.

Kind regards,
Kristof