On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 21:19 -0700, Rick Altherr wrote:
> =On May 24, 2009, at 9:04 PM, Zach Welch wrote:

> >> The traditional sibling of a "u32" (unsigned) is an "s32" (signed).
> >>
> >> I don't know where "i32" came from, it's an interloper.
> >
> > That would be me, taking a blind stab in the dark.  Mea culpa.
> >
> > Fixed: new patch attached for consideration.  I have also fixed the
> > duplicated section heading in the documentation.  Anything else?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Zach
> >

> Maybe I misunderstood.  I thought we were deprecating the use of "u32"
> in favor of the C99-defined "uint32_t".  Why would we define another
> set of types when there a perfectly fine versions already available as
> part of the language standard?

Heh.  I just went back and re-read the original post and realized my
mistake; however, I will defend my changes with two principles:

1) It's shorter/faster to type.  This argument has been hashed out
extensively on the Linux mailing lists.  Linus has it right in this
debate to prefer s32/u32.  POSIX is dumb; however, that doesn't mean we
can't exploit their work for own purposes.

2) More importantly, this patch applies the principle of least change.
These changes both unify the type system around the types that are
defined in "types.h" (and with the Linux kernel).  Thus, we achieve
conformance to an internal (and external) standard that we can enforce
from here on.  With less typing (this goes both for the types themselves
and for the changes necessary to convert the entire tree to use the
types that are used in only a handful of files today).

Cheers,

Zach