On Sun, 24 May 2009, Rick Altherr wrote:

> On May 24, 2009, at 9:37 PM, Zach Welch wrote:

> > > Maybe I misunderstood.  I thought we were deprecating the use of "u32"
> > > in favor of the C99-defined "uint32_t".  Why would we define another
> > > set of types when there a perfectly fine versions already available as
> > > part of the language standard?
> >
> > Heh.  I just went back and re-read the original post and realized my
> > mistake; however, I will defend my changes with two principles:
> >
> > 1) It's shorter/faster to type.  This argument has been hashed out
> > extensively on the Linux mailing lists.  Linus has it right in this
> > debate to prefer s32/u32.  POSIX is dumb; however, that doesn't mean we
> > can't exploit their work for own purposes.
> >

> Perhaps I'm jaded from writing code for OS X where function names are intended
> to be descriptive and thus end up long.  Most editors include autocompletion
> which makes the difference minimal in practice.  Even when I'm writing code in
> vi, I prefer the longer type names since it make it clear that a) it's a type
> by having the _t suffix and b) that's an unsigned int.  With u32, there are
> plenty of cases where odd naming collisions can occur.

As far as my opinion matters, I don't think that uint32_t is that much
clearer than u32.  It is widely assumed that u32 refers to an integer
and not a float, hence having the information carried everywhere is up
only for additional typing and screen realestate.  And Linux makes for a
big example where plenty of odd naming collisions is simply not an issue
in practice (I know this example might not have such a weight for OS X
fans though).

Nicolas