> Øyvind mentioned the idea of wrapping the JTAG API in TCP/IP. Aside from
> performance implications I think this would require some significant
> development efforts with little immediate benefits. Even worse, it would
> encourage other JTAG interface vendors to implement their JTAG interface
> layer as a binary only driver that talks to the OpenOCD via TCP/IP layer,
> too.

Just to be clear: my motivation for JTAG over TCP/IP has nothing
to do with USB. I'm interested in it for the purposes of making
targets available for testing remotely. Also one of the neat
things of OpenOCD is that it has a clever scheme to avoid
killing performance with long roundtrips, so performance of JTAG
over TCP/IP should actually be usable if not great.

I thought the USB discussion could somehow bring about JTAG
over TCP/IP indirectly, which would be nice.

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services