On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 16:56 +0200, Freddie Chopin wrote:

> GPL. GPL. GPL... How about Users, Users, Users? Again - The Most
> Important Qestion - Is OpenOCD meant for users to use, or just to be
> "100%-GPL-at-any-cost"?
>
> > You're the ONLY one advocating a "we-don't-care-for-X" mindset.
>
> Damn, I see that the opposite way - 5-10 ppl are "100% GPL" (that's
> where you are) while everyone else is like "why create artificial
> problems?".

Freddie,

I have been involved with a number of distributed group projects and GPL
is the best way to go to insure the collective work will survive the
longest.

Case and point.

I wrote a Wireless X.25 packet switch in the 1980s, it was used world
wide on Amateur Packet Radio. It was called The ROSE X.25 Packet Switch.

It was not open source, I sold rights to it, ended up working on it for
a year and then the project was flushed.

I was burned out by this and no longer developed the switch and ROSE
died.

I was a core developer on osCommerce (aka The Exchange Project) that
project seems to be all but dead as well, but there are many forks and
some of them are still alive. Personally I still use it for one of my
websites. (GPL)

I have made a few changes to GNUBG (GNU Backgammon), nothing big, but
every little bit helps. (GPL)

I also play backgammon on FIBS (First Internet Backgammon Server) and
for a while tried to get the clients used there modernized. Sadly none
of them are really open source, I did get a few copies of source, but
the most popular one the author will not allow it to be converted to GPL
and they demand rights to any code I develop, with no rights to me (or
others). (closed)

I also took over a dead project that was a Tourney Robot for FIBS.
The original author long lost interest, but because it was GPL and
posted in a public place I was able to get the code and make
improvements, after seeing those updates the author did get responsive
to my questions, etc.

The fact that I was able to get the source and do something without
asking anyone for anything made it possible.

As a developer I DO care about the license. If it is not GPL (or
compatible) I will not waste my time. Now as a USER I also check the
license, if it is GPL then I know I can become a developer, if needed.

Could it be that the 5-10 people that are GPL 110% might just be the
active developers?

Tom