Hello Zach,

thank you for this posting. I was just formulating a reply to some of your
last emails, but it's probably better if what I had to say remains in the
privacy of my harddrive.

On Wednesday 24 June 2009 18:30:09 Zach Welch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is the full list of GPL-compliant solutions for libftd2xx GPL
> compliance, after further review, consideration, and enumeration:
>
> 1) Documentation:  build it yourself!
> 2) Build-Kit: automate the build on users' machines

I fear those aren't options for the average Windows user of the OpenOCD.
Michael's packages were extremely popular because they were very easy to use.

> 3) XXX: to be revealed, if legal

Is this some particular solution or a placeholder for things we haven't yet
thought of?

> 4) libftdi-ftd2xx: ABI compatible with libftdi, wraps ftd2xx

How would ftd2xx be linked here? Via LoadLibrary (dlopen) and friends? I'd
volunteer to create such a solution.

> 5) sockets: separate ftd2xx into their own process space

I dislike this idea, and I seem to remember that you disliked it, too, because
it opens doors for all kinds of GPL circumventions that we don't want. We may
not be able to prevent someone from creating such a solution, but we can deny
its upstream inclusion.

> 6) libusb+libftdi: The Right Thing To Do ;)

Is this something that's future proof with Microsoft's signed-drivers-only
policy coming up?

> I have lost track of who is doing what.  Please check in here. :)
>
> Furthermore, I had originally hoped to make some money by volunteering
> here, then finding sponsors for further work.  I now have serious doubt.
>
> I will not take any money for the current compliance effort.  Sadly, I
> no longer think it would be safe to accept any compensation for such
> work, even if it were going to be offered to me.  Sorry.  Such could
> only aid others in baseless accusations of "extortive" motives being
> part of my intentions for enforcing the GPL at this juncture.  That is
> simply not true, and I would point out that I did not even raise the
> original issue.  Still, I will fall on my sword to do the right thing.
>
> To reiterate, I am now no longer willing to accept offers to do the work
> that I actually need to survive, to demonstrate that my motives here
> have no profit in them anymore.  All previous offers for me to do paid
> work are now off the table, until all hostilities from the community
> have been ameliorated.  I hope this action helps resolve some tensions.

This is for you to decide. I'd actually appreciate if you were to rethink your
position, because a developer whose able to make at least part of his living
out of the project is definitely going to provide high qualtiy contributions.

Best Regards,

Dominic