On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 20:14 +0100, Ian Guffick wrote:
> <snip>
> > Here is the full list of GPL-compliant solutions for libftd2xx GPL
> > compliance, after further review, consideration, and enumeration:
> >
> > 1) Documentation:  build it yourself!
> > 2) Build-Kit: automate the build on users' machines
> > 3) XXX: to be revealed, if legal
> > 4) libftdi-ftd2xx: ABI compatible with libftdi, wraps ftd2xx
> > 5) sockets: separate ftd2xx into their own process space
> > 6) libusb+libftdi: The Right Thing To Do ;)
> >
> <snip>
>
> Just a thought on option 2 - the build kit.
> This would be a large download, and quite a lot of work for someone to put
> together.
> If the GPL violation happens in distributing code that is linked to FTD2XX,
> could the build kit have pre-compiled objects for openocd - that are then
> linked on the users machine. The pre-compiled objects, as distributed, would
> not be linked to FTD2XX. This would reduce the complexitiy of the build kit
> down to a much simpler 'link-kit'. It's function would be no different to
> the build kit.
> I haven't looked into it but maybe this could be as simple as a few object
> files, LD and a few MingW libraries along with a batch file.

I think it will take a little bit more effort than this (some autotools
magic to ensure users can build different configurations), but this is a
great idea for reducing the download sizes.  In many ways, it sounds a
bit like using ccache; once the cache is populated, you only ever link.

Cheers,

Zach