> Without biasing the community further than this, what would you expect
> from such an entity? As a user? Developer? Contributor? Vendor? Founder?

I'd like to see an ability to collect money to  pay a developer to do
more tedious
legwork of making more complete and well tested target support or otherwise
crossing various chasms that is hard to do in small steps.

Here are some targets I can think of that require a significant
initial kickstart
effort that I'm not expecting to crop up overnight or as a result of incremental
patches:

- Altera Nios
- PowerPC
- Cortex A8
- 64 bit target support
- Non-JTAG physical interfaces. This includes written guidelines for
interface vendors.

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services