On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Nico Coesel<ncoe...@dealogic.nl> wrote:

>>I *know* there are hardware vendors out there that
>>are aching to use OpenOCD together with closed source target support,
>>and they *would* find any tiny loophole and throw money at lawyers to
>>exploit it.
>
> Sorry to hijack this message. The whole situation made me wonder about MySQL
> several times. The MySQL license says that it is free when GPL is respected
> but you must pay if you want to use it in a commercial / closed source
> product.

So you're saying that someone might try to have it both ways?

Keep anything *they* make closed source, yet demand to be able
to freely use OpenOCD GPL for the stuff that they don't have(target
support) or that OpenOCD provides for free or does better.

It makes business sense I guess. Perfectly legal.

They would have to be careful as the devil in not letting any of the OpenOCD
code seep into their proprietary/closed source stuff though.

I found that Zylin would be better off to go for GPL all the way for our
zy1000 hardware debugger.

Less hazzle and I have great faith in the OpenOCD future. I wouldn't
want to try to compete with the community.

At some point OpenOCD is going to reach critical mass where it
no longer makes sense to reimplement everything closed
source/clean room...

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services