+++ Freddie Chopin [2009-06-24 16:56 +0200]:
> David Brownell pisze:
> > Under the GPL.  From the very first public release, that has been
> > part of it.  You download it, and the GPL is there.  That brings
> > along with it certain rules.
>
> GPL. GPL. GPL... How about Users, Users, Users? Again - The Most
> Important Qestion - Is OpenOCD meant for users to use, or just to be
> "100%-GPL-at-any-cost"?

The GPL protects _users_ rights (even over developer's rights, if you
want to make a distinction) over the long term - that's why it's
so popular.

> > You're the ONLY one advocating a "we-don't-care-for-X" mindset.
>
> Damn, I see that the opposite way - 5-10 ppl are "100% GPL" (that's
> where you are) while everyone else is like "why create artificial
> problems?".

I am 'just a user' of openOCD (I've contributed a good 6 lines of
code/docs so far), and I think the GPL is important too. David
Brownell has put the arguments very clearly and correctly (amongst
others). So please don't count all users in your camp, and I think
you'll find it's a lot more than 5-10.

We need to just fix the problem for users (by getting a
licence-compatible USB driver for windows people who currently don't
have one).

Please stop trying to pretend there isn't a problem and be grateful
that there has been some laxness in the past - that's a benefit you've
had to date. Now it's been noticed (perhaps an understatement!) you
and others will find things slightly less convenient for a while,
until a proper permanent fix is in place. That will happen a lot
quicker if a) this discuession dies down and b) there is some
incentive to get it fixed (i.e. using free code is more conventient
than using non-free code).

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/