On Tue, Feb 14, 2006, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 14, 2006, Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Since this is mostly a style issue, can we suggest as a matter of policy
>> that the substitutions be put in the %build section?
>
>Yes, I vote for doing it this way.

I'll be doing several updates to CURRENT packages as I find changes
necessary for OS X/darwin.  Would there be any objections to my moving
these if I find them?

>> [...]
>> >I also think the %prep sections should only contain %setup and %patch
>> >commands because (1) that's how the %prep section AFAIK was intended
>> >for by the RPM authors (2) the %prep section and especially its %setup
>> >macro is REALLY DEEP magic (e.g. its expanded "cd" part is sticky and
>> >automatically duplicates into all other sections, etc) and (3) it also
>> >simplifies the developer tasks.
>>
>> Is there any way to figure this magic out other than reading the rpm source
>> code?
>
>I've assembled some of this magic some time ago in the file
>openpkg-dev.txt in the CVS. You can read it directly via URL
>http://cvs.openpkg.org/getfile/openpkg-doc/quickref/openpkg-dev.txt

Good stuff.  Thanks.

Bill

``We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
free enterprise,'' said Cash McCall, "but when one of our citizens
show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself."
                -- Cameron Hawley
Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org