On Tue, Feb 14, 2006, Thomas Lotterer wrote:
>Bill Campbell<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 2006-02-13 23:35:10:
>> I would like to suggest that any %{l_shtool} subst subsitutions don't belong
>> in the %setup section, but properly belong at the beginning of the %build
>> section.
>>
>I remember we put some efforts into moving almost every patch-like "shtool
>subst" construct into the %prep section to complement the %patch instructions.
>Besides developer's convenience I do not see a reason why automated source
>tweaking should be split and partially moved outside the %prep section.
>Deferring substitions to the %build section sometimes inhibits repetitive
>execution via "rpm --short-circuit" which means a shift would move the paint to
>a different location with no real cure.

I don't think that moving substitutions to %build would break most
short-circuits since they generally will have no effect when run a
second time as the substitutions will have already been made.

When I'm writing my own spec files, and want to do some kind of
substitutions, I often run a ``find | xargs grep -l ..> tmplist''
routine to create a list of the files to change before doing the
substitutions, then test for a non-empty list before running shtool
to make the substitutions.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to
teenage boys -- P.J. O'Rourke
Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org