I'm using linux too (but relative old RH 7.3) and I thought using OpenPKG
wersions of softwares would give me a longer updated live. If my thinking is
correct, I would like to use OpenPKG version of perl and not the RH73 one.

Could I write a small script that I name /usr/bin/perl  with something like:

#/bin/sh

if [ OPKG-ENV_NOT_SET ]; then
   /opkg/etc/rc --eval all env
fi

/opkg/bin/perl $*

Also I don't know how to check if OPKG_ENV_NOT_SET. Should grabing opkg in $PATH
be enouth ?

Thanks,

Alex