It seems that when most of the rpms that have config files are upgraded,
the working config is moved to some *.rpmsave file and the new one is
put into place.  What this basically means is that any services on a
server where we might upgrade an rpm on will temporarily break.  Most
other linux distributions will put the new config with an upgraded
package as *.rpmnew instead of moving aside the working config.  Then it
would be up to the administrators to do a comparison to see if anything
needs to be added or modified between the working config and the new
config.  This seems to be a better approach so that running services are
not broken in the middle of upgrading a package.  Why does OpenPKG move
the working config aside instead?  Can this be changed so the packages
with configs will copy the new config as *.rpmnew so running services
don't break?  The problem that I'm trying to solve here is that we want
to have a certain portion of rpms automatically updated on a weekly
basis as needed in a more or less hands off fashion, but if the upgrade
means that the services break because the running config is moved aside,
then that's not possible.  Any comments?

--
David M. Fetter - UNIX Systems Administrator
Portland State University - www.oit.pdx.edu