On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 20:59 +0200, Michael van Elst wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:39:33AM -0700, David M. Fetter wrote:
>
> > It seems that when most of the rpms that have config files are upgraded,
> > the working config is moved to some *.rpmsave file and the new one is
> > put into place.  What this basically means is that any services on a
> > server where we might upgrade an rpm on will temporarily break.
>
> This assumes that the new software is able to work correctly
> with the old config files. This might be even true for most
> popular packages most of the time but for a real production
> environment you want some proper configuration management.

Right.  We actually have cfengine too for all of our configs.  The
dilemma is that when an rpm is updated it moves the config aside then
restarts and bam we have downtime upon update.  Cfengine comes along
every 10 or 15 minutes and puts the proper config back into place, but
we don't use cfengine to restart most of the services due to some issues
we have had with trying to do it that way.  So, the problem I'm trying
to point out is that moving aside the running configs could cause
unnecessary downtime even if it is for 10 or 15 minutes.  Any down time
is generally not good.

Now I can understand that the some software won't work at all with an
old config and I think at that juncture it is suitable for the running
config to be moved aside to an *.rpmsave.  It makes it so that it is
blatantly obvious that the admin has to review it right away.  However,
most of the time, the running config works with slightly newer revisions
of software and at that point it makes more sense to copy the new config
to *.rpmnew so that when the admin has time they can go review the
differences.  It isn't really a matter of neglect on the admins' side of
things, but in general most unix shops are understaffed and/or
shorthanded due to the number of outstanding projects, so they may not
have time to review every new config for every package and if it's not
immediately necessary then why should they be forced to do that?

In our shop, it is a goal to cut down the maintenance cost of
maintaining software in general.  Part of this project ended up using
the fine OpenPKG product to assist with a good portion of the software
management.  We still have about 20-30 pieces of software that we have
to manually maintain and keep current, but for the other 500+ pieces we
are trying to incorporate it into an auto-update procedure.  If it is
the philosophy of OpenPKG to always move aside running configs to
*.rpmsave regardless of whether it is necessary or not, then I suppose
we will just need to manually update those pieces of software as well
and pull them out of the automated update process.  Unfortunately, this
takes away from lowering the overall maintenance cost.

All I'm trying to do is to see if I can bring up the discussion and
maybe ultimately change the way the configs are handled during an
upgrade of a package so that the maintenance cost can stay as minimal as
possible.  I completely agree with what you're saying and in a perfect
world every admin would have the time to properly review thoroughly each
piece of software prior to upgrade as well as each individual patch for
the underlying OS.  This, however, is not a perfect world and so we
admins must make do and do the best we can to maintain stability in our
environments.  It becomes even more difficult to manage config changes
like this with the more servers you have.  From this stand point, it
seems logical that there are reasons for using *.rpmnew and *.rpmsave
for configs.  Most of the time, *.rpmnew is sufficient and that's good
because it can keep the maintenance costs down.  When a piece of
software changes a config so radically that it won't function with an
old config, then using *.rpmsave to move aside the running config makes
more sense.  That is basically how I see it from the administrative
aspect.  I hope this makes some sense.  I'm not trying to ruffle
feathers or anything, I'm just trying to state what I think is a valid
point.

Thanks.

--
David M. Fetter - UNIX Systems Administrator
Portland State University - www.oit.pdx.edu