On Fri, Apr 08, 2005, Michael van Elst wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:39:33AM -0700, David M. Fetter wrote:
>
>> It seems that when most of the rpms that have config files are upgraded,
>> the working config is moved to some *.rpmsave file and the new one is
>> put into place.  What this basically means is that any services on a
>> server where we might upgrade an rpm on will temporarily break.
>
>This assumes that the new software is able to work correctly
>with the old config files. This might be even true for most
>popular packages most of the time but for a real production
>environment you want some proper configuration management.

This topic seems to keep rearing its ugly head.

IHMO, the way it's being done now is a bit too draconian as the
vast majority of package updates will run just fine with the
older configuration files (any package *SHOULD* if the authers
have a clue about dealing with backwards compatibility issues).

Currently a ``build -KUa'' update will always stop after building
sudo because it replaces the working suders file with one that
prevents the unpriviledged user from using sudo.  This sort of
thing just shouldn't happen.

I would suggest that in the case of packages that really won't
work without changing the configuration, that this be handled by
creating a special file in the etc/$package file (e.g. something
like etc/$packge/FIXME with a description of the problem in it).

The run control program could then test for FIXME files as it's
now doing with the .rpmnew, .rpmsave, .rpmold files.  In fact,
this would eliminate the need for .rpmsave files as there would
only be .rpmnew files with the new configuration information.

There still will be problems that need addressing such as major
version upgrades of postgresql which require special handling to
convert the old database files before doing the updates, but
these are beyond the scope of simple configuration file changes.

Bill

``UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.'' -- Doug Gwyn