On Thu, Oct 01, 2009, Armin B. Resch wrote:
>Fellow OpenPKG-lers,
>
>My python build failed after the most recent db rebuild
>(db-4.8.24.0-20090920.src.rpm). After some googling, I came across this bug
>report + patch:
>http://bugs.python.org/issue6949
>
>I appended the suggested patch to OpenPKG's python.patch and the build now
>works for me.
>
>Can we include the patch in the central OpenPKG repo?

As a general rule, it's never a good idea to update the Berkeley
database routines in a working system as they are (a) a horrible
kludge of spaghetti code with APIs that differ even between minor
release changes, and (b) they're deeply embedded in far too many
things to do it safely.

If you want to see some truly messy code, look at the db routines
in perl or python sources to see how many #if statements are
necessary to handle the differing APIs.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   b...@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

The only logical reason to take guns away from responsible people is to
give irresponsible people an edge in the perpetration of their crimes
against us. -- The Idaho Observer, Vol. 1, No. 2 February 1997
OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org