On Sat, Oct 03, 2009, Armin B. Resch wrote:

> Thanks for that. Option 6 is not unlike the first one, then. Your suggestion
> is interesting, though. I do use the -r option against a local mirror, but
> would have dealt with situations like that by simply adding the offending
> package to an exclusion list on the build command (after reverting the
> offending package to the prior state, naturally). What are the benefits of
> creating a separate repo+index? Run-time dependencies?

The advantage is that you this way can create your own independent
distribution for your particular software stack.

> As a general rule, would it be accurate to say that you don't try to patch a
> package unless it's an OpenPKG-induced build failure (package builds if
> pulled from the vendor, but not if pulled from the OpenPKG repo)?

No, we also patch many upstream sources. Not just for packaging issues,
but also to fix bugs, too add additional features, etc. But the
packaging issues are 95% of the patch reasons, of course.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       r...@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com

OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org