Cornelius Kölbel wrote:
> Hi,
> unfortunately I guess at the moment it will not make it easier for your
> users. The integration of smartcards is not seamless into any linux
> distribution yet.
> Even if all opensc software is installed and your token/smartcard is
> recognized, the user will still have to load the pkcs11 lib into his
> firefox. Not easier / one more possible step with errors :-/

Right now I've got it boiled down to
- install a single RPM (for RHEL4, Fedora Core 5/6, OpenSuSE 10.x) or
install one or two .deb packages on Debian or Ubuntu
- follow instructions on how to add the libetpkcs11.so module to Firefox
and/or Thunderbird

this seems to work quite well, and if you throw in enough screenshots
all users can load the library without too many problems.

> But maybe in your szenario it would be sensible to use opensc also on
> the windows side?

if a "fully-opensc" solution would work with the etokens that we have
then that would be fine with me. Compatibility with the Aladdin RTE
software would be a huge bonus but if the opensc solution works better
then I am sure that I convince our users to re-initialize their tokens.
However, before a fully-opensc solution works I would have to make sure that
- initializing our etokens works, including setting of a non-default SOPIN
- generating and storing X509 certificates works
- integration with apps like Firefox, thunderbird, OpenVPN,
Openssh/GSISSH, PuTTY etc works on all platforms (linux+windows+macos).
- the script that I have created to generate short-lived proxy
certificates also works as well as it does now.

Only then would the opensc-solution be a viable alternative.
Unfortunately, we're quite a way off from that situation :-(

regards,

Jan Just Keijser
System Integrator
Nikhef / Amsterdam