On 09/08/07, Alon Bar-Lev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Ludovic Rousseau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > 3. Why configure has AM_MAINTAINER_MODE? It is best to go without.
> >
> > I do not agree. AM_MAINTAINER_MODE will prevent make to try to rebuild
> > Makefile.in if it detects Makefile.am is more recent.
> > "end-users" should not have to have automake installed just to run
> > ./configure & make
> >
> > It is far more easier for maintainers to use ./configure
> > --enable-maintainer-mode to have the desired behavior.
>
> Why will a user update Makefile.am anyway?!?!

Not update. Just do something like "touch Makefile.am" is enough to
force a regeneration.
I had (a lot of) such problems when making Debian packages with
autobuilders. But I do not remember the exact sequence of events.

> If the user update Makefile.am, Makefile.in should be re-generated.
> As I understand... the maintainer mode is used of you want to commit
> the generated files... So they are not changed from one commit to
> another.
> But again... why would you like to do this? :)
> So it is safe to remove the maintainer mode.

It is also safe to keep it.
Maintainers should know what they do more than users.

> Best to commit, and see if problems pops up during beta cycle.

Any other comment?

bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau