On 8/9/07, Ludovic Rousseau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 2. Why do you store the following: aclocal/pkg.m4, aclocal/libassuan.m4?
> > The should be provided and maintained by the packages installed at
> > your system...
> > They should be removed from svn.
>
> Exact. I also suggested (and committed) that but some people had
> problem with that. I guess it was because libassuan-dev package was
> not installed. But I have no news since then.

So people should install the right components before the autoreconf...
But this is the proper way to go.

> > 3. Why configure has AM_MAINTAINER_MODE? It is best to go without.
>
> I do not agree. AM_MAINTAINER_MODE will prevent make to try to rebuild
> Makefile.in if it detects Makefile.am is more recent.
> "end-users" should not have to have automake installed just to run
> ./configure & make
>
> It is far more easier for maintainers to use ./configure
> --enable-maintainer-mode to have the desired behavior.

Why will a user update Makefile.am anyway?!?!
If the user update Makefile.am, Makefile.in should be re-generated.
As I understand... the maintainer mode is used of you want to commit
the generated files... So they are not changed from one commit to
another.
But again... why would you like to do this? :)
So it is safe to remove the maintainer mode.

> > 4. Once you don't use AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS, you can remove
> > aclocal/lib-link.m4, aclocal/lib-prefix.m4, aclocal/lib-ld.m4
>
> Exact.
>
> Can we/I commit these changes now and manage complaints/problems or do
> we want to wait until a new stable version of OpenSC is released?

Best to commit, and see if problems pops up during beta cycle.
Alon.