On 1/22/09, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jh...@cmu.edu> wrote:
> --On Thursday, January 22, 2009 08:14:20 PM +0200 Alon Bar-Lev
> <alon.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Well, Ludovic knows my arguments...
> >

> > 4. Due to the threading limitation of libusb or kenrel pcscd polls
> > readers every 2 seconds which waste CPU and power resources.
> >

>  Only if you have reader drivers which require this.  If all of your reader
> drivers support hotplugging, then pcscd does not need to poll.

Poll the reader to detect card insert.
Even the ccid driver that can receive event polls every 2 seconds as
it has some issues with threading.

> > 5. The udev support was dropped in favor of hal, which added
> > dependency for all scenarios.
> >

>  Nothing was dropped in favor of HAL.  It is possible to configure pcscd to
> use HAL for USB device detection, but it is by no means mandatory, and it is
> still possible to inform pcscd of new devices by running pcscd --hotplug,
> whether or not it is compiled with HAL support.

The rules are not provided nor maintained.

> > 6. The libusb support polls the USB bus... So it is irrelevant.
> >

>  Only if there are drivers that do not advertise IFD_GENERATE_HOTPLUG.  If
> all drivers support hotplugging, then the USB bus is scanned only when
> someone runs pcscd --hotplug.  It's true that on Linux there is no way short
> of HAL for pcscd to automatically detect new USB devices.  As far as I know
> that has always been the case.

Installing pcscd within mdev environment without libusb is quite difficult.

>  But given your other arguments, I suspect we will have to agree to
> disagree, and taking this much further is probably not productive.

Right... :)

I made some modifications in openct to make it feet into my
requirements... This is after I tried very hard to use pcscd.

1. Be usable in initramfs configuration, so that I can decrypt the
root filesystem. At this environment I don't have udev, hal or
usbfs...
2. Drop libusb requirement for coldplug and use sysfs directly.
3. Run as none root to enhance security.
4. Do not poll readers, copied the basics from pcscd and made it
completely event triggered.
5. Work correctly at system hibernation.

But as Andreas wrote, openct still lack pinpad support, maybe if I
have such device I will be able to add this feature as well.

Thanks,
Alon.