--On Thursday, January 22, 2009 08:14:20 PM +0200 Alon Bar-Lev
<alon.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, Ludovic knows my arguments...

> 4. Due to the threading limitation of libusb or kenrel pcscd polls
> readers every 2 seconds which waste CPU and power resources.

Only if you have reader drivers which require this.  If all of your reader
drivers support hotplugging, then pcscd does not need to poll.

> 5. The udev support was dropped in favor of hal, which added
> dependency for all scenarios.

Nothing was dropped in favor of HAL.  It is possible to configure pcscd to
use HAL for USB device detection, but it is by no means mandatory, and it
is still possible to inform pcscd of new devices by running pcscd
--hotplug, whether or not it is compiled with HAL support.

> 6. The libusb support polls the USB bus... So it is irrelevant.

Only if there are drivers that do not advertise IFD_GENERATE_HOTPLUG.  If
all drivers support hotplugging, then the USB bus is scanned only when
someone runs pcscd --hotplug.  It's true that on Linux there is no way
short of HAL for pcscd to automatically detect new USB devices.  As far as
I know that has always been the case.

But given your other arguments, I suspect we will have to agree to
disagree, and taking this much further is probably not productive.

-- Jeff