Am Mittwoch 03 März 2010 12:27:30 schrieb Ralf Schlatterbeck:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 11:08:37AM +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> > an alternative would be to move the files into the include directory.
> > that wasn't done in the past, as cvs is a pain with moves. but with
> > svn we can do that (although we break history that way - for svn
> > it is one new object and one remove object, commands like "svn annotate"
> > break with moves).
>
> Thats not true. SVN keeps the history for moved objects.

yes it keeps the history. and it is mostly useless.

svn annotate will only show the revision where the new file was
added, and with svn log you can see it was a move (from the comment)
and the old file name, and then you can checkout the revision before
the move with the old files still in place, and run svn annotate
again.

so "svn annotate" breaks with "svn mv" - the data is still there
inside the svn repository, but getting to that data is now very hard.

sure, that is better then cvs where you couldn't move files at
all without breaking history (AFAIK). but it still isn't as nice
as it could be. IIRC some of the distributed version control systems
are much better at such tasks these days - they will show me where
and when and who changed some code, even if the file was moved around
in the mean time one or several times.

but I might be wrong or simply miss the great clue how to properly use
svn. but last time I had to dig in the opensc svn history to find out
when / how some code was changed, it was a real big pain for me.

Regards, Andreas