> Yes and no. It's not bad to have low-level tools which are useless
> for end users. Those tools are very useful for developers.
>
> [...]
>
> Agree that end-user GUIs need more sophisticated functionality than
> may be offered by most or even all existing OpenSC tools. But that
> does not mean that current OpenSC tools should be modified or
> deprecated, only that either new tools in OpenSC are needed, or that
> GUIs have to implement more glue.
>
> To some degree the things that are needed may depend on the GUI
> environment, so it may not be feasible to keep one single
> implementation for all GUIs inside OpenSC.

I agree entirely with this!

Simply from a user perspective, but with the "developer" hat on, I
appreciate low-level tools being used even though for the mundane tasks
there are GUI tools. One thing, which I'd like added to the pkcs15-tool
is raw data output, which, as far as I know, can't be done (it is
"encoded", which is of no use to me whatsoever if I would like to pipe
the output to something else - even if I try to decode it), so a GUI
with an added functionality while keeping the existing framework is
good, I think!