Hello,

2011/4/26 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <jmpo...@gooze.eu>:
> Le mardi 26 avril 2011 à 08:23 +0300, Martin Paljak a écrit :
>> pkcs15-tool is a (G)UI as well. And to my knowledge it does what it
>> advertises.
> Now, we come to the point:
> * pkcs15-tool --list-public-keys
> returns nothing
>
> * pkcs15-tool --read-public-key c81e42ceda0bc1d65c9051b0eb8679e29dd6c067
> returns the public key

This is because of
http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/browser/trunk/src/tools/pkcs15-tool.c#L649
> From a user point of view, this is an inconsistency.
>
> In my previous emails, I was suggesting that pkcs15-tool
> --list-public-keys may return all usable keys, even when public objects
> don't exist on card.

The shortest fix is adding proper documentation about what
--read-public-key does, and that it makes a shortcut to the
certificate if it does not find a public key object with the given ID.
Generic education (instead of application feature) that certificates
contain public keys does not hurt anyone either I think. Fetching a
public key from a certificate is already a convenience feature.

For the sake of purity, I don^t think that --list-public-keys should
display a fake public key object, which does NOT exist on the card in
relevant PKCS#15 structures. but patches for documentation are most
welcome.

Martin