2012/11/21 Martin Paljak <mar...@martinpaljak.net>:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Anders Rundgren
> <anders.rundg...@telia.com> wrote:
>
>> Another hurdle is that the GP security model is incompatible with the
>> Internet: GP presumes mutual authentication AFAIK.  This is how the
>> Google Wallet currently works (Google holds the master keys to the SE)
>> but that's not really cutting it.
>
> I don't believe that the industry players would want to give up their
> current position easily.
> Appstores (authority over what can be installed without hurdles), keys
> to the empire (GP-style approach) or monetary gatekeepers (who can
> charge a certain % for what is happening in their gardens) make money.
>  Telcos would prefer to kill data based instant messaging providers
> without hesitation, if they could - SMS makes golden eggs...

are you sure that is still the case? SMS flat is down to 5€/month over here.
and I use google talk all the time instead of SMS, unless it is
someone who doesn't have an android phone.

> Interenet as an ideal is one thing, "business as usual" must still
> live on, unfortunately.

thats a bit harsh I think - its not like the mobile carriers e.g.
aren't trying to sell payment systems on top
of their infrastructure or similar, but at the end it doesn't gain
wide acceptance it seems. maybe too expensive?

also for them change is very expensive - their equipment is certified
and expensive, and any additional feature
might require an upgrade to new equipment with expensive addons in the
software/hardware. plus they have
a huge amount of equipment so any change affects a lot of parts. no
wonder the mobile carriers think change is
expensive. still they change when necessary, e.g. to adapt to new
speeds/tech like LTE, but in that case they
know that everyone left behind will likely die soon, and that the
quality level on their network will only get worse
with the explosion of mobile data usage.

I cannot comment on many things discussed here, but as someone living
in an SSO world, where I have one
place to authenticate, and every app I use gets the authentication
from that central place via OAuth: that is real
nice. Thus my personal goal would be no longer to be able to get many
credentials from many places, but only
to handle one credentials with one service on the other side, and
handle that very, very well. every other place
can use OAuth with that central place. (remember how I opposed using
openid in the past? seeing how nice it
is to have such infrastructure changed my view on that....)

Regards, Andreas