On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus
<andr...@ionisiert.de> wrote:
> 2012/11/21 Martin Paljak <mar...@martinpaljak.net>:
>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Anders Rundgren
>> <anders.rundg...@telia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Another hurdle is that the GP security model is incompatible with the
>>> Internet: GP presumes mutual authentication AFAIK.  This is how the
>>> Google Wallet currently works (Google holds the master keys to the SE)
>>> but that's not really cutting it.
>>
>> I don't believe that the industry players would want to give up their
>> current position easily.
>> Appstores (authority over what can be installed without hurdles), keys
>> to the empire (GP-style approach) or monetary gatekeepers (who can
>> charge a certain % for what is happening in their gardens) make money.
>>  Telcos would prefer to kill data based instant messaging providers
>> without hesitation, if they could - SMS makes golden eggs...
>
> are you sure that is still the case? SMS flat is down to 5€/month over here.
> and I use google talk all the time instead of SMS, unless it is
> someone who doesn't have an android phone.

Even public sources estimate a "nice business"

"And text messaging is still a big business, accounting for an
estimated $21 billion in U.S. revenue for telecom companies last year
and an estimated $23 billion this year, according to the Consumer
Federation of America."

Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/21/business/la-fi-texting-20110822

The ROI on SMS is not comparable to the investments and increasing
traffic for data services (where messaging is accounts only for a <1%
of traffic, I believe)

>> Interenet as an ideal is one thing, "business as usual" must still
>> live on, unfortunately.
>
> thats a bit harsh I think - its not like the mobile carriers e.g.
> aren't trying to sell payment systems on top
> of their infrastructure or similar, but at the end it doesn't gain
> wide acceptance it seems. maybe too expensive?

Sure, as long as they can get a % of the business happening in their
"walled garden". Then again, financial services and payments are
important parts of the overall "who controls the money routes,
controls the business" play, so I don't expect any of the carriers or
handset platform providers to open up a loophole that would allow for
some 3rd party to easily take their market, without paying. There's
just no commercial interest.

So yes, harsh, but I believe realistic.

> I cannot comment on many things discussed here, but as someone living
> in an SSO world, where I have one
> place to authenticate, and every app I use gets the authentication
> from that central place via OAuth: that is real
> nice. Thus my personal goal would be no longer to be able to get many
> credentials from many places, but only
> to handle one credentials with one service on the other side, and
> handle that very, very well. every other place
> can use OAuth with that central place. (remember how I opposed using
> openid in the past? seeing how nice it
> is to have such infrastructure changed my view on that....)

Sure. But that should be an *option* rather than requirement.
Eventually you still would want to separate your bank account from
your google account, for example. Maybe in 10 years this sounds like a
stupid idea for the younger generation, but this moment in time I
still would prefer the option to choose my credentials and identities
(but would love to re-use them as *I* want, not how some vendor wants
it (what makes OpenID better than peered implementations like saml or
facebook connect or..)

Sorry to hear about the OpenID  thing though ;)

Martin