Frank, greetings --

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Frank Morgner
<morg...@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Your editor should be intelligent enough to guess the right settings.

Why have the editor guess, when it could know the right answer?

> For vim I recently found this plugin

There is a similar feature for emacs (c-guess and friends).

I am impressed by their cleverness, but it seems better to specify
than to guess (with the chance of guessing wrongly).

And it's not just tabs-vs-spaces, but also a human judgement as to
whether those tabs are intended to represent 4 spaces or 8.

No good answers.  I just offered the directory-wide settings for emacs
as a way to reduce my pain, and possibly to avoid patch submissions
with incorrect indentation.

Anyway.  If Ludovic doesn't want it around, then that's fine by me;
I'll find another way to make sure that I use the correct style.  :)

Best regards,
Anthony Foiani