2012/12/10 Anthony Foiani <anthony.foi...@gmail.com>:
> Ludovic, greetings --
>
> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Ludovic Rousseau
> <ludovic.rouss...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2012/12/8 Anthony Foiani <anthony.foi...@gmail.com>:
>> > Greetings --
>> >
>> > I have two small patches which you might want to consider integrating.
>> >
>> > (And given that I can't get git to do what I want, you probably want
>> > to just cherry-pick these, as I suspect I've completely destroyed my
>> > repo history...)
>>
>> You should rebase your patches above OpenSC/OpenSC master.
>
> Ok, but pardon my git ignorance: I thought that one should never
> rebase a tree that will be published and pulled from?  Or only if it's
> published and someone tries to *base a new tree* off of it?

That is what I thought also.
But it is far easier to review a patch when the history is clean.

>> > https://github.com/tkil/OpenSC/commit/0c4a2e0c4063f31bc41c34e45869b9a9e7ca41d7
>> > This uses "dir local" settings to configure Emacs indentation correctly.
>>
>> I don't think that an Emacs configuration file should be added to the
>> OpenSC source code.
>
> Hm. Why not?  It would ensure that emacs users have their style set
> appropriately for this project, and shouldn't affect anyone else in
> any way.
>
> In my own use case, I work on 3-4 projects in the same emacs session,
> and each one has different indentation settings.  dir-local settings
> seem the easiest way to assign a style per directory (tree).
>
>> You should keep this change in your own branch.
>
> And for my second question of git ignorance: how can I maintain "my
> own branch", when merging upstream into a branch is discouraged?  Or
> do I misunderstand the tone of the log comments when trying to check
> in such a merge?

Or just keep the file.dir-locals.el out of git.

I have no objection to add this file. I do not use Emacs myself.

I see it can help code quality so unless someone objects I will merge
it upstream.
Please submit a pull request.

>> > https://github.com/tkil/OpenSC/commit/599bd1e6c906af63eb379c866076f98a91654cb2
>> > I spotted an inconsistency in how the option argument pointers were
>> > initialized; this fixes it (to make it more consistent).
>>
>> Not a bug but the code would be nicer.
>
> For whatever it's worth, my understanding is that uninitialized global
> variables are actually allocated as a part of program runtime, and are
> initialized to zero at that point.  *Initialized* global variables,
> however, are stored in the binary itself, even if the initializer is
> zero.
>
> So as a matter of style, it might be better to leave all those
> pointers uninitialized.  (This was a big stink on the linux-kernel
> mailing list a few years back.)
>
> On the other hand, I don't know if this behavior is true across all
> platforms, and the space/time cost in this case is trivial.
>
>> Can you create a branch from OpenSC/OpenSC master with only this patch
>> and ask for a Pull Request?
>
> I'll try.  :)  Every time I try to use git for anything fancier than
> an svn-replacement, I seem to get burned...
>
> In this case, it looks like I'll have to fork the OpenSC version
> (instead of the CardContact version), then branch in my new fork,
> commit this change, and then request a pull of my new branch on the
> new fork?  (Not complaining about amount of work, just trying to make
> sure I have the flow correct.)

Now merged upstream.

Merging a pull request from github adds a "merge pull request" commit.
The history is then not very nice (linear) but I don't know a better
way using the github web interface.

Thanks

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau