Anthony Foiani <anthony.foi...@gmail.com> writes:

> Ludovic, greetings --
>
> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Ludovic Rousseau
> <ludovic.rouss...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2012/12/8 Anthony Foiani <anthony.foi...@gmail.com>:
>> > Greetings --
>> >
>> > I have two small patches which you might want to consider integrating.
>> >
>> > (And given that I can't get git to do what I want, you probably want
>> > to just cherry-pick these, as I suspect I've completely destroyed my
>> > repo history...)
>>
>> You should rebase your patches above OpenSC/OpenSC master.
>
> Ok, but pardon my git ignorance: I thought that one should never
> rebase a tree that will be published and pulled from?  Or only if it's
> published and someone tries to *base a new tree* off of it?

This is somewhat controversial, but from my experience in both open
source and large private projects, the key issue is not to rebase
branches that other people have made commits on top of, or merged into
other branches.  I find that it's helpful to rebase branches proposed
for merging.  The point for me is not so much to have them based off
recent master to avoid a merge commit, but to produce the clean series
of commits that would have appeared had there been no mistakes.

Achieving the goal of not rebasing branches others have derived commits
From can be accomplished by

  not rebasing published branches

or

  having an understanding within the project that branches should not be
  cross-merged, so that rebasing them is still safe.  Even if multitple
  people commit to a branch, with a little coordination this is not a
  big deal.