Ok Justin, on_rez trick is  definitely an old issue.

But regarding properties not retaining between restart...

 I tried right now and verified that on latest git version
Region (073) # show version
Version: OpenSim 0.7.4 Dev          012b01f (interface version 7)
and surely in 0.7.3 where I initially found the problem.

I've seen a mantis on the exact issue of llDetectVolume, and it was closed
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=3687  last july 2011, but it
should probably be reopened.

On the same mantis it is noted the 512 value for changed event to
workaround which originally misguided me (probably SL did change this value
in latest years).

Since many people answering my posts here were very convinced that
llDetectVolume should be caught during region restart, I'm wondering which
other commands need to be reissued when a region restart. I hope
llDetectVolume is isolated since it appears its implementation is quite
complex right now in opensim code...

sal