I'm starting to develop my first non-trivial OS gadget + backend
application, and I'm stuck trying to choose which development approach
to use.  Any insights you can guys offer would rock.

The three things I care most about:

1. Gadget works in a variety of high market-share OS containers, and
high market-share browsers.  Even IE. ;-)

2. Dev approach leverages someone else's JS expertise. :-)  I'm, at
best, "fair" at javascript.  I know enough to know I lack the deep,
arcane knowledge required to be really competent.

A declarative approach like OSML is very appealing; authoring via GWT
+Eclipse codegen is also interesting although I think I see a much
steeper learning curve thataway.  At least, for me personally (I have
loads of OOP experience in the C++/C# world; almost none with java or
eclipse).

Is OSML ready for prime time?  Samples like the Social Mashup run in
Firefox but not in IE.  I can't tell if OSML is not yet fully baked,
or if the samples/documentation are just lagging a bit.

3. Data Pipelining.  I watched the Speed/Scale presentation from I/O
and Data Pipelining sounded really worthwhile for my gadget/app.
Again, my question is: ready for prime time?  For example, the Social
Mashup sample mentioned above uses <os:PersonAppDataRequest> tag (with
a bug workaround); the Data Pipelining spec says this tag is cut.

That's it, really.  I'd also be interested to hear which approach YOU
find most productive for OS gadget development, and why.  Even (maybe
especially) if you are a JS guru.  In case the right answer is for me
to brush up my JS skills and go the JS-api route.

I look forward to your advice!
~Susan