Thanks, Arne.  This is very helpful.

I'm not going max-reach on my first app, just trying to find a solid
approach that will serve me in future apps as well.  It's helpful to
learn that the some containers already support some 0.9 features.
I've been testing in the Orkut/iGoogle sandboxes, but not everything
0.9 seems to work there yet.  (Although it's hard to tell if this is
due to stuff I just don't understand yet, or whether some stuff is
still NYI.  Any tips where should I look for updates?)

After lots more reading/testing I do think I'll bite the bullet and go
down the proxied content, OSML + JS makeRequest route.  The scaling
benefits are just too tasty to pass up.  Is the Quartermile app you
demo'd at I/O available as a sample or open source?  It would rock to
see a more beefy example, including backend implementation.

> In this case it's probably a case of the samples not being fully
> baked.  Can you elaborate more on what problems you're seeing on IE?
> AFAIK, there isn't anything keeping OSML from working on IE.

I think this a JS bug in the sample, not a problem with OSML itself.
Repro: run 0.9 OpenSocial Mashup sample (http://wiki.opensocial.org/
index.php?title=Social_Mashup_Tutorial, full code linked at bottom) in
the Orkut sandbox in IE, and click the "Give!" button.  This generates
an Object Expected error on line 34.

This is a pretty trivial bug, but for me it underscores the value of
encapsulating JS/HTML functionality in OSML/templates to leverage the
x-browser JS implementation/HTML rendering smarts of someone who is
hopefully better at it than I am. And yeah, I understand that this
type of interactivity isn't handled by OSML/templates yet... but I can
dream!  :-)

thanks,
~Susan