Your time frame for when you want to release will drive your choice of
platform.  If it's "immediate" you will need to either write for 0.8
containers or write an external app on top of the OpenSocial REST
endpoints and make use of one of the SDKs out there.  If your time
frame is in the 4-6 month realm your assessment of OSML+ JS
makeRequest + proxied content is a very good path.

We don't have an official release date at MySpace for 0.9, but I can
tell you it will be very soon.  The REST side of 0.9 will be announced
live in the extreme near term.  The container (OSML + JS container
updates) are being finalized, but we don't have an official release
date.  If you want to start playing around you can sign up for a
developer account on MySpace and use the sandbox OSML editor.

http://developer.myspace.com/modules/apis/pages/OpenSocialSandboxEditor.aspx

For reference documentation keep looking at opensocial.org.  We also
have a soon-to-be-released book on OpenSocial coming out.  It goes
into great depth on the Javascript API and also covers the REST API
and a number of MySpace-specific quirks.  There are also two chapters
on OSML, so it should be a useful reference, no matter what path you
take.

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780321619433

MySpace has been making a big push to wrap SDKs around all the
OpenSocial REST endpoints in a variety of languages, as well as the
"MySpaceID" implementation of OpenID.  It can be a challenge to find
the correct SDK, tho, since we're contributing to open source projects
already out in the wild.

This site links to most of the SDKs, though not all are current.
http://wiki.developer.myspace.com/index.php?title=Site_Map

Here are some other specific SDKs

(OpenID SDK)
http://wiki.developer.myspace.com/index.php?title=SDK