Hi Kogan. You're actually talking about two things here: extended
network access (e.g. friends of friends) and the REST API, which will
enable you to query for friends using Java or any other other HTTP-
aware language. Unfortunately, neither is available at this point --
although orkut's sandbox has support for version 0.8 of the OpenSocial
JavaScript API, extended network distance is not implemented yet and
the OpenSocial REST API is still in development.

When/if extended network distance is supported by orkut, it's quite
likely that you may not be able to query for a user's friends if they
don't have your application installed in the same way that your app
can't access the viewer's friends if he/she doesn't have the app
installed. This is not intended to discourage data portability but
rather protect the privacy of users who may not want to share their
information with your app. So while your application sounds great in
theory, it may be difficult to implement given the permission issues.

Of course, you're more than welcome to build a proof of concept, but
that will have to wait until extended network distance is supported
which is not as high a priority as finishing REST API development. If
you want to chat about this more, join us in the OpenSocial IRC
channel tomorrow where we'll be answering questions about the orkut
platform:

http://orkutdeveloper.blogspot.com/2008/09/extended-office-hours-this-thursday.html

- Jason