I'm derailing this case on the grounds that it is not obvious and also
the volume of email traffic involved in trying go get clarifications.

The non obvious parts to me are the following:

        djm-0 Why we need a gcc4 subdir in /usr/gnu/

        djm-1 What the connection between this case and gcc4 really is
        I can't actually find any information on a dependency between
        GCC 4.3.x on any version of GNU binutils.

        djm-2 Without seeing the GCC4 case I don't even understand why
        this issue exists at all since the current GCC 3.4.3 on Solaris
        uses /usr/sfw/bin/gas and /usr/bin/ld.

        djm-3 Wither or not binutils (modulo any bugs in a particular
        version) are so unstable that we need to support multiple
        versions and if this is only because of a desire to support
        multiple versions of gcc.

        djm-4 If the dependency between binutils and GCC4 is build time
        only or architectural and if there are possibilities for a
        workaround particularly given the following:

                http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/faq.html#gas

        I also happen to know that it is possible to reconfigure
        which assembler program gcc uses by giving full paths in the
        specs file.  I haven't checked that with GCC 4.x but it
        certainly still works with the 3.4.3 that we ship with Solaris.

I want to see the documentation that shows exactly what versions of GCC
and GNU binutils work together (I looked and couldn't find it).

Project team please work with your case sponsor to arrange a full case
review, please ensure that the materials presented cover all of the
above issues from me and any other issues outstanding from other members
and people who have commented.

Please remember that a derail of a fast-track just means we wish to
review it using the full case review mechanism.  I does NOT mean the
case is denied.

--
Darren J Moffat