Joerg Schilling wrote:

>>>     Does star(1) support the Trusted Solaris extensions?
>>>
>>      I should have asked: "Does star(1) support all the functionality
>>      of tar(1)?  If not what's missing?"
>>

> If called as "tar", star supports the functionality of Sun's tar with a few
> exceptions. Once, star is in OpenSolaris, I hope this is no longer a rabbit
> and hedgehog play.

Are there other exceptions other than those addressed below? So, for the
purposes of documentation
I'd like to see the exceptions noted.
> There is currently no support for Sun's ACL/extended-attribute archive format
> that is based on outdated technology. Star however supports a _portable_ ACL
> archive format that is based on recent POSIX technology for vendor specific
> extensions.

I can understand reasons for not writing Solaris format archives, but
what prevents star or the OpenSolaris
star project from reading Solaris format archives? Lack of interest may
be a satisfactory answer, but there
are those who already have tar-like archives from Solaris.

 From what you've indicated, star supports an archive format WRT ACLs
that readable and usable by
tar implementations on other OSs (other than a star implementation). Is
that correct?
> The problem with the trusted Solaris extensions is that they are undocumented.
>
> Let us discuss the application interface to make it fit nicely into star and
> let us define an archive format for these extensions. I see no reason why
> this
> cannot be implemented.
>
> I am also interested in discussing the archive format for extended attribute
> files.

Joerg,
  I and others are interested in discussing archive format (tar-like)
for various applications within Solaris
and OpenSolaris. Portability of format is a big deal. Is there a
OpenSolaris or other discussion
forum in which these are being discussed?

Rick Matthews                           email: Rick.Matthews at sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                  phone:+1(651) 554-1518
1270 Eagan Industrial Road              phone(internal): 54418
Suite 160                               fax:  +1(651) 554-1540
Eagan, MN 55121-1231 USA                main: +1(651) 554-1500