> Gary Winiger <gww at eng.sun.com> wrote:
>
> > >         Current changes:
> > >
> > >         - /usr/sbin/rmt executable from ON replaced by the rmt from star
> > >         - /etc/default/rmt configuration file added (defaults to full
> > > access)
> >
> >     In the face of the SMF policy,
> > http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/policies/SMF-policy/
> >     what the justification for add a default file?
> >     What's the auditable administrative interface?
> >     See the audit policy:
> > http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/policies/audit-policy/
> >     for the administrative interface?
> >
> >     BSD rmt(8) from MacOS 10.5.2 doesn't seem to require a defaults
> >     file.  Nor does rmt(1M).
>
> These are older implementaions. If you use rmt from star without
> /etc/default/rmt, you get more security than the current rmt implements.
> This may cause people to fail with their access patterns. If you like to
> make rmt as permissive as historical implementaions, you need to tdo this via
> /etc/default/rmt

        See the SMF policy relative to new /etc configuration files.
        See the Audit policy for administrator audit requirements.

> >     Similarly the star(1) man page in the materials directory
> >     appears to have an /etc/default/star file specified.
> >     I guess that isn't delivered as it's not listed in the
> >     interfaces.
>
> star's /etc/default/star is an extension to the _documented_ part of
> Sun's /etc/default/tar. If called as "tar" or "suntar", star checks
> /etc/default/tar instead of /etc/default/star.

        Again see above.  This is a prime opportunity to do away with
        existing turds[tm] and move into the new age.

> > > Interfaces:
> >
> > >         ./star-symtable location                Committed
> > >         ./star-symdump  location                Committed
> > >         ./star-tmpdir   location                Committed
> > >         ./star-lock     location                Committed
> >
> >     Is this saying that if I use star(1), I get 4 turds[tm]
> >     dropped in cwd that I have to clean up at every use?
>
> This has been answered yesterday, please read the old mail.

        Later today.

> >     Specifically, it seems poor architecture to drop lock
> >     or other temporaty files in cwd.  If use of incremental
> >     star must be serialized, putting the files necessary in
> >     a tmpfs (/tmp) would be a far preferable architecture to me.
> >
> >     What happens if the system crashes during an incremental
> >     star?  Are these files automatically cleaned up on reboot?
>
> Check "man ufsrestore" for comparative information.....

        IIRC ufsrestore is only for admins.  Is the architecure that
        incremental star can only be used by admins?

Gary..