Margot Miller wrote:
> Thanks Joerg for providing the below star/tar differences.
>
> Richard,
>
> Do you need anymore info on these differences?  And is
> it a requirement to have a section in the star man page
> that summarizes the below differences?
>
> Thanks
> Margot
>
> Joerg Schilling wrote:

>>> Are there other exceptions other than those addressed below? So, for
>>> the purposes of documentation
>>> I'd like to see the exceptions noted.
>>>

>>                -E       use extended headers; this option
>>                         exists in star, but star warns about the
>>                         non-POSIX compliant archive format used
>>                         by Sun tar with -E.

Ok.  A hypothetical ARC case proposing star to replace tar would
probably need to move this option to the "Obsolete" commitment level.

>>                 -k yy   archive/volume size - uses this instead
>>                         of whatever size the media actually is
>>
>>                         The problem with this Sun tar option is that
>>                         it uses undocumented enhancements to the tar
>>                         archive format that are in violation with
>>                         the POSIX tar archive format.  Star implememts
>>                         the -k option using a POSIX compliant extension
>>                         of the archive format.

So the questions I have here are: can the older incompatible Sun formats
be unarchived by star, and can older Sun tar extract archives with the
star POSIX-compliant extension?

>>                 -n      not reading from tape, so can use random seeks
>>
>>                         The problem with this Sun tar option is that
>>                         it is easy to implement in a simple tar
>>                         implementaion but hard to do in a buffered tar
>>                         like star.  Star ignores this option and warns
>>                         about this fact.

For an ON-quality integration, I'd prefer to see this option silently
ignored.  The man page can indicate it is for compatibility only.   (A
warning would only be required if some user-noticeable behavior changed
-- but that's not what I think you're saying -n does -- its an
optimization that star can't use, and perhaps, doesn't need or benefit
from.)

>>                 -q      stop after extracting first instance of
>>                         requested file
>>
>>                         The problem with this Sun tar option is that
>>                         it is documented but unimplemented. As it is
>>                         unclear whether this option should allow more
>>                         that one file argument is it not possible to
>>                         implement it from the available description.

If the docs are wrong, then lets just fix the docs!

>>                 -X yy   exclude files named in the file yy
>>
>>                         Not yet implemented in star.
>>

>>                 -I yy   include files named in the file yy. This option
>>                         is not documented as it is implemented in Sun
>> tar.
>>
>>                         Not yet implemented in star.

Weird.  Can you provide details about the differences between the docs
and the actual implementation?

>>                 -@      included Sun extended attributes in the archive
>>
>>                         Not implemented in star as Sun tar uses
>> deprecated
>>                         POSIX.1-1988 extensions.
>>
>>                 -T      Trusted extensions. This option is related to -@

Right, this was the subject of earlier debate.  We'd need this "feature"
in a /bin/tar replacement.

>>                 -z      This is a completely undocumented Sun tar
>>                         option that is incompatible to all other
>>                         tar implementations.

Undocumented options can probably be excised.

    -- Garrett