I am not sure whether it is needed to reply to all parts of the mail.
Maybe it is suffiient to point you to a missunderstanding.

"Garrett D'Amore" <gdamore at sun.com> wrote:

> > If OpenSolaris likes to participate in the advantages from star, Sun cannot
> > try to dictate the development. There is a way to create a symbiosis of
> > OpenSolaris and star, the keyword is collaboration.
> >

> Your idea of collaboration seems to mean that everything ever written by
> Joerg Shilling is perfect, must be accepted as is, without change, and
> that nobody else is allowed to touch code written by Joerg, without his
> permission.  Oh, and that failure to integrate all of Joerg's code is a
> failure on the part of the community and its sponsors.

It seems that you missunderstand collaboration. Shawn Walker came up with a
nice definition of collaboration but also failed to understand it:

****
Collaboration means *working towards a common goal*; not dictating
what the other party will do.
****

Your proposal was that Sun should take over the star source, remove the
portability code and then start dictating how future development should be done.
This is defionitely not collaboration.

Star comes with a free license, so Sun could take the current star source and
create a fork. This however looks unwise as it would decouple Sun from the
future development of star. Is this really what you like?

J?rg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) J?rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de     (work) Blog: