Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Mark A. Carlson wrote:
>> What is the "upstream community" for star, rmt,and librmt?
>>
>> Is it just J?rg?
>
> In a word, yes.
>

>> Are we treating this upstream community any differently
>> than the other ones we work with?
>
> I don't think so.  The main examples I can think for ON of are
> OpenSSH, Sendmail, and Perl.  In all of these cases we have customized
> the software, so that it essentially represents a "fork" from the main
> upstream sources, though I think in most of these case we try to
> synchronize against the upstream frequently, and also feed changes
> from our tree upstream.
>

>    -- Garrett
Why is there such a pre-occupation with the ON consolidation here? We also have
hundreds of open source components in the SFW consolidation, not to mention the
entire Gnome consolidation, as well as Mozilla.

So, there are what - 4 components in ON (you forgot tcp wrappers)?

Nobody (least of all me - since I will be doing the actual integration)
is saying star needs to be part of ON. In fact, all the arguments about the
schily build system are irrelevant if we build star in the SFW
consolidation - the same way we have been building Jorg's mkisofs and
cdrecord stuff for years.  Nobody has complained about those utilities.

--
Ken Erickson                                     | kene at Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc., Solaris OS Engineering   | Voice: (847)663-9471

If you want me to read something, don't send it as
a StarOffice or HTML attachment.