Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Norm Jacobs wrote:
>>>
>>> In my original materials for PSARC/2008/130 CUPS 1.3.6 I designated
>>> an interface stability of "Volatile" for
>>> the libcups and libcupsimage interfaces.  I don't believe that we
>>> are likely to see incompatible change in these interfaces from the
>>> open source project and there are potentially a number of
>>> consumers.  The open source project owner has stated that they
>>> intend on maintaining backward compatibility in these interfaces in
>>> minor releases.  As a result, I would like to change their stability
>>> to "Uncommitted".
>>>
>>> If there are no objections, this mail will serve to correct the
>>> taxonomy of libcups and libcupsimage.
>>>
>>>       -Norm
>> It was pointed out to me by a potential consumer of these interfaces
>> that I should have included the cups-config script and header files
>> in my list of interfaces to make Uncommitted.  The complete list is
>> as follows:
>
> Hmm... I seem to recall someone saying that the trend was to move away
> from *-config scripts.  Is cups-config an autoconf-style configuration
> script, or something that is used to configure CUPS itself?  (If the
> former, then perhaps Volatile for just cups-config would be better, so
> we can move to pkg-config at a later date and yank the script.  If the
> latter, then I see no issue for concern. :-)

cups-config is used by consumers of CUPS interfaces to augment their
CFLAGS, LDLIBS, ... during their build. CUPS doesn't ship a pkg-config
.pc file, though I suppose that I could generate one.  Even at that,
those tools that already use cups-config during their build aren't
likely to change until CUPS shipped a pkg-config .pc file for some
time.  I can work with the upstream community to try to include a cups
pkg-config .pc file and  re-implement cups-config in terms of
pkg-config/cups.pc, but cups-config is likely to be around for some time.
Perhaps the trend is to move away from *-config scripts, but CUPS hasn't
embraced this yet and as a result, neither have the consumers of it's
interfaces (at least for CUPS related build information).  I would be
inclined to have it Uncommitted until we see CUPS move in the direction
of pkg-config.  We can make it volatile if/when they start to support
pkg-config.

    -Norm