Darren/Nicolas:

On 08/13/09 02:55, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> Nicolas Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 02:21:31PM -0700, Brian Cameron wrote:
>>> - /usr/lib/gdm-session-worker
>>>
>>> A separate process which handles PAM/audit interactions. The
>>> gdm-simple-slave interacts with it via the gdm-session D-Bus
>>> interface. The gdm-simple-slave interacts directly with
>>> gdm-session-worker, while gdm-factory-slave uses a relay connection.
>>
>> I figure this is obvious, but the materials don't say so...
>>
>> On successful login the session should be started by the process that
>> did the PAM and audit work, or by its progeny, after
>> pam_open_session(3PAM) is called, and before pam_close_session(3PAM) is
>> called.
>
> /should/MUST/. If that doesn't happen then the user environment and
> credentials won't be properly setup.

Yes, the gdm-session-worker process does start the user session by
running the /etc/gdm/Xsession script after successful authentication.
Note the /etc/gdm/Xsession script is what launches the user session
(e.g. gnome-session for a GNOME user session).

I updated the description of gdm-session-worker in section 4.1.1 of
the onepager to make this more clear by adding this text:

      The gdm-session-worker process also launches the /etc/gdm/Xsession
      script after successful login, which starts the user session (e.g.
      gnome-session for a GNOME user session).

Brian