On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 01:42:39AM -0700, Alan M Wright wrote:
> On 08/27/09 13:17, Dean Roehrich wrote:
> >>The file system can return EACCES or EPERM if it doesn't want
> >>the attribute changed via fsetattr(3C).
> >>
> >>I didn't want to preclude user space applications from being
> >>able to manipulate this attribute on regular (non-HSM) file
> >>systems.  As I mentioned, a virus scanner could be configured
> >>to mark the file as offline while it is performing a scan-on-
> >>open.
> >
> >In that case, how would the virus scanner and the HSM interoperate on the
> >same
> >filesystem?
>
> I think that's outside the scope of this case - that would be a
> design consideration for those components.  And there's already
> a potential interaction problem between virus scanning and HSM:
> virus scanners may keep pulling files onto primary storage if
> poorly configured.
>
> Perhaps a well-designed virus scanner would recognize when the
> offline bit is already set and not attempt to scan files during
> background/scheduled scanning, and perhaps it's a bad idea for
> a virus scanner to manipulate the offline bit.  Hopefully, these
> are application specific design problems that we have to solve
> here.
>
> >Given your use-case, how would an HSM know when it can trust or use this
> >bit?
>
> If an HSM is managing the offline bit it can simply return EPERM
> if anything external to the HSM tries to change the state of that
> attribute.  Nothing here requires that a file system or HSM allow
> the offline attribute to be changed outside of its control.

Customers will write applications (maybe a file browser) which query this bit,
and they'll file bugs against the HSM products for not setting it.  The HSM
products will then be in a bind because they know they can't use it as
specified (at a minimum, they would have to modify fsetattr to no longer allow
the setting of that bit, which would break some other customer's home-grown
application...and so it goes).

So here's how this case _could_ have been presented, given that it's supposed
to displace PSARC/2009/381:  You introduce XAT_OFFLINE, which is owned by the
HSM.  The virus scanner must honor this bit and avoid scanning offline files
(there, now your virus scanner won't screw up the HSM resource management
policy).

Dean