Fuyuki,

> >>    4.5. Interfaces:
> >>
> >>        INTERFACE NAME             STABILITY    NOTE

> >>        /usr/bin/ibus-daemon       Uncommitted  message bus daemon
> >
> > How is this started?  Via SMF at boot?  If so, we need FMRI etc.  Can it
> > ever be invoked manually be a regular user?  If not, it belongs into
> > /usr/sbin (if manually invoked by sysadmins) of /usr/lib.
>
> It's user process started via gnome-session(1).

but if there is no reason to start this manually, it's probably better
located in /usr/lib/ibus.

> >>        /usr/bin/ibus-setup        Uncommitted  setup launcher
> >
> > Same here: who invokes this?
>
> It's invoked via System->Preference->iBus Setup or by manual.

Ok, if manual invokation is an option, the location is fine.

> >>        /usr/libexec/ibus-x11      Uncommitted  ibus XIM fontend/agend
> >>
> >>        /usr/libexec/ibus-gconf    Uncommitted  config backend by
> >> gconf-python
> >>        /usr/libexec/ibus-ui-gtk   Uncommitted  panel GUI by pygtk
> >
> > There is no /usr/libexec in Solaris: either belongs into /usr/lib (or
> > /usr/lib/ibus) or /usr/share/ibus if architecture independent.
>
> In order to reduce Solaris patches, we followed the original directories.
> If /usr/libexec/ is not allowed, we will change them to /usr/lib/ibus/ibus-*.

Fine, thanks.

> >>        /usr/lib/libibus.so        Uncommitted  ibus C binding SDK library
> >
> > That's only the compilation symlink.  What's the real filename and SONAME?
>
> /usr/lib/libibus.so.0.0.0
> will update the material.

The SONAME will more likely be libibus.so.0 in this case.  Please check
with dump -Lv.

> >>        /usr/libexec/              Uncommitted  IME launcher
> >>        ibus-engine-<IME_NAME>
> >>        /usr/libexec/              Uncommitted  IME setup launcher
> >>        ibus-setup-<IME_NAME>
> >
> > Same as above: no /usr/libexec.
>
> If /usr/libexec/ is not allowed, we will change them to
>
> /usr/lib/ibus/ibus-engine-<IME_NAME> (I know this is better)
> /usr/lib/ibus/ibus-setup-<IME_NAME>  (I know this is better)
>       or
> /usr/lib/ibus-engine-<IME_NAME>
> /usr/lib/ibus-setup-<IME_NAME>

Please use the first variant to avoid needlessly cluttering /usr/lib.

> >>        /usr/share/ibus-<IME_NAME> Uncommitted  IME modules
> >>        *IME_NAME is among [anthy, chewing, hangul, m17n, pinyin, table]
> >
> > Why the mess: better move this to /usr/share/ibus/<IME_NAME> to avoid
> > cluttering /usr/share even more.
> >
> >>        /usr/share/ibus-table/*    Uncommitted  ibus-table engine and
> >>                                                code-tables
> >
> > Same here: better /usr/share/ibus/table or some such.
>
> In fact I've been feeling the same way, but again, we followed the
> original directories to reduce Solaris patches.

Understood, but perhaps the changes can even be fed upstream?  At least in
Solaris, there seems to be a strong preference to have exactly one
directory in /usr/share for each application, otherwise the directory
quickly becomes almost impossible to browse.

> I understand these changes are not mandatory, but better to have.

Some of them might be optional, but at the change away from /usr/libexec is
mandatory.

> I'll discuss with the project team and come back.

Excellent, thanks.

        Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University