On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Garrett D'Amore - sun microsystems
<gd78059 at sac.sfbay.sun.com> wrote:

> Template Version: @(#)sac_nextcase 1.69 02/15/10 SMI
> This information is Copyright 2010 Sun Microsystems
> 1. Introduction
> ? ?1.1. Project/Component Working Name:
> ? ? ? ? More ksh93 builtins
> ? ?1.2. Name of Document Author/Supplier:
> ? ? ? ? Author: ?Olga Kryzhanovska
> ? ?1.3 ?Date of This Document:
> ? ? ? ?18 March, 2010
> 4. Technical Description
>
> I'm sponsoring this fast-track request on behalf of the
> ksh93-integration project.
> Please note that this is an *open* case.
>
> The release binding is the same as with the ksh93 project: a
> patch/micro release of Solaris delivering through ON
> Stability levels are as described below.
>

> This project is an amendment to the Korn Shell 93 Integration project
> (PSARC/2006/550 and PSARC/2007/035, PSARC/2008/094, PSARC/2008/344
> and PSARC/2008/589) specifying the following additional
> interfaces:
> Addition of /usr/gnu/bin, /usr/xpg4/bin and /usr/bin built in
> mappings in ksh93
>
> Bug/RFE Number(s):
>
> 6935110 ?ksh93 needs (more) XPG, GNU built ins
>
> This case proposes to deliver the following features as a set of
> independent putbacks as they become available. Each feature is
> self contained and independent of the others, so out of order
> and partial putbacks at this granularity should have no adverse
> impact on the functionality and behavior of the system as a whole.
>

> Part 1: ksh93 built in mappings for /usr/gnu/bin utilities
> The case proposes to enable the following mappings to ksh93 built in
> commands for utilities in /usr/gnu/bin. When the utility is called
> using it's command name, and not the full path, the ksh93 builtin
> will be used instead of executing the /usr/gnu/bin binary.
>

> Interface ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Stability ? ? ? ?Description
> --------- ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? --------- ? ? ? ?-----------
> ksh93 '/usr/gnu/bin/basename' built in ?Uncommitted ? ? ?basename utility
> with GNU extensions

So, if I call a plain basename, what gets executed? Does it look at the
PATH setting and call the gnu/solaris/xpg4 (or for the more perverse
of us, ucb) variant of the builtin? Is there just one builtin that
always behaves
the same way?

Or, another way, if I don't have /usr/gnu/bin in my PATH, will the builtin
basename have the GNU extensions?

(Differences for something like basename are minor; for other utilities
the differences may matter.)

--
-Peter Tribble