Norm,

On 03/18/10 07:57 PM, Norm Jacobs wrote:
> It's not that I don't think that the ksh93 built-ins have a place and
> that they couldn't be a perfectly reasonable default for most people. In
> some cases, they seem to provide something that is sorely needed in the
> Solaris userland, a blend of POSIX conforming and GNUish commands.

I'm afraid I don't understand your initial point.  That's not what the
ksh93 shell built-ins provide.  $PATH is still honored, and the
built-ins are compatible with the commands that are resolved from $PATH.
  You do not suddenly get a blend of POSIX and GNU commands.  I believe
that architecture introduced by PSARC 2006/550 maintains the semantics
of $PATH by binding a built-in to a pathname, and only executing a
built-in when a $PATH search matches the binding.

> Several things concern me about this case.
>
>     * When I (read any user) explicitly set my PATH to include /usr/bin,
>       /usr/xpg4/bin, /usr/xpg6/bin, ..., I expect that my selection will
>       be honored. I am asking for a specific toolset and expect a bug
>       for bug compatible version.
>     * "default" behaviour should apply across the board here.
>
> For several paths on the system, customers expect certain behaviour
> /usr/xpg4 XPG4 compatible behaviour
> /usr/xpg6 XPG6 compatible behaviour
> /usr/gnu GNU/Linux compatible behaviour
> /usr/ucb SunOS/BSD 4.X behaviour
> /usr/5bin SVR3 compatible behaviour

Given that the shell honors compatibility within each of the applicable
paths for which it provides built-in bindings, there doesn't seem to be
any issue regarding "compatible behavior".

-Seb