On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Darren Reed <Darren.Reed at sun.com> wrote:

> Enjoy (the fact that S10 does not have bash or /usr/gnu or ...).

Worse yet (this is no surprise to most, I'm sure, but pity our poor users...):

On your new OpenSolaris system, create a tar archive of, say, your web
document root that you want to move over to another system:  cd
/export/website; tar cf ~/mywebsite.tar .

scp it over to your other OpenSolaris system, you know, the one you
really use, with ksh93 and a real guru's PATH that starts with
/usr/bin :-)  Try to extract your website:  cd /export/mynewsite; tar
xf ~/mywebsite.tar

It probably won't work, because gnutar does not create tar archives
that are compatible with OpenSolaris' tar.

Repeat for the entire set of gratuitously different tools; the
incompatibilities bite both ways, btw, so this isn't really an "I hate
gnu binutils" rant :-)

The missing *ARCHITECTURE* bit is why it is OK to produce a system
with superficially interchangeable parts that don't actually work well
together.  It is all well and good to say that it is "familiar", but
having familiar tools that don't work does nobody any favors.

  -John