On 22/03/10 07:21 AM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Milan Jurik wrote:
>
>> Alan Coopersmith p??e v p? 19. 03. 2010 v 16:39 -0700:

>>> But clearly all our paying Solaris 10 customers already have dotfiles to
>>> set $PATH, given how useless the default Solaris 10 $PATH is.
>>>
>> I would be very carefull with claiming "all our paying Solaris 10
>> customers"...
>>
> Okay, make it "Any Solaris 10 customer (paying or not) who actually wants
> to use the system" - given the lack of some basic commands in the default
> path, such as /usr/sbin/ping or /usr/ccs/bin/make, the Solaris 10 default
> PATH shows we've long required customers to change the default PATH to
> actually make the system usable to either sysadmins or developers.

And...?

I doubt there exists a system where system administrators
and/or developers don't customise their path. Go back and
read Octave Orgeron's email.

The only difference is the names of which components are
required and in which order to make a command line
environment that the user likes.

What the default path, in /etc/default and elsewhere, really
impact are things like:
- install scripts (that don't use ~/.foo)
- how scripts run remotely when ~/.foo isn't read
- at/cron jobs
- other uses of $SHELL where ~/.foo isn't read

Darren